[R] Using optimize with array variables

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Thu Oct 1 19:06:12 CEST 2009

On Thu, 1 Oct 2009, Vik wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to figure out how to use optimize() with array variables
> as inputs. I have a for loop in the function definition:
>
> SS <- function(int,slo,x,y){
> for(i in 1:length(x)) ((int+slo*x[i])-y[i])^2->squares[i]
> sum(squares)->>sum_squares
> output_txt = c ("The sum of squares is", sum_squares)
> print(output_txt, quote=FALSE)}

Try running your code in a clean session. There is an error (and not the
one you quote below).

After you get rid of that error, try

 	val <- SS ( 0.1, 1, 1, 1 )

then

 	print( val )

The difficulty optimize is having should be apparent.

In spite of the pressure you are under, you will need to slow down, write
readable code, and take the time to learn about writing functions in R
before you can hope to get anywhere with a problem like this.

Read the posting guide. For a problem like this one, the 'Some' mentioned
below includes many of the people on this list who can provide useful,
knowledgeable answers:

 	Some consider it good manners to include a concise signature
 	specifying affiliation

HTH,

Chuck

p.s. do not use '<<-' or '->>' until you really, really know what it does
(which means you understand 'scoping')!