[R] Learning R

Johannes Huesing johannes at huesing.name
Mon Nov 30 22:01:10 CET 2009

Esmail <esmail.js at gmail.com> [Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 01:07:15PM CET]:

> ps: Just checked, 'R in a Nutshell':
>     http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596801717
>     release date dec 2009/jan 2010

You can't really judge a book by its cover, and in this case not even
the cover is presented to us. But judging by the author's background,
I'd presume that you are likely to get a computer scientist's intro
to R. This is an angle that very few books have taken so far ... most
are written by statisticians who write from the problem solving point
of view. If you are a statistician, you are probably well served with
some of the books available on R. Among these, I too found Venables
and Ripley a good read, as they give you some depth on S the language,
rather than talking about "101 wonderful things you can do with R".
--
Johannes Hüsing               There is something fascinating about science.
                              One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture