[R] command similar to colSums for rowSums?

Will Carr torch742 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 30 17:10:47 CET 2009

Working with an NxMxO sized matrix, currently I can do this in my code:

if (max(colSums(array)) >= number)

But to get an equivalent result using rowSums, I have to do:

for (i in 1:10)
{
if (max(rowSums(array[,,i])) >= number)
}

I'm running both in a much larger loop that loops millions of times, so
speed and such is quite a big factor for me. Currently, the colSums line
uses about 1/10th as much time as the rowSums' for loop, and the for loop
actually took as much time as the rest of my code combined took to execute.
Is there a faster way than using a for loop and rowSums?