[R] how to put ggobi display into a GUI window setup by gWidgets

j verzani jverzani at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 22:12:26 CET 2009

jerry83 <chaohan1983 <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I want to put a ggobi display into a GUI window setup by gWidgets, but error
> occur said it is not a S4 object.
>
> Does anyone have any idea about how to put it in or maybe it can not be put
> into a widget at all?
>
> Thanks A LOT!

To embed a GTK widget into gWidgets isn't too hard, just call the add method.
I'm not sure how  to get the GTK object you want from the ggobi
interface. Below is an example that you might be able to modify:

##
library(RGtk2)
library(rggobi)
library(gWidgets)
options(guiToolkit="RGtk2")

## ggoobi object
x <- ggobi(mtcars)

## grab child from main window. Modify (how?) to get
## other widgets
toplevel <- ggobi_gtk_main_window(x)
child <- toplevel[[1]]  # toplevel has only one child
toplevel$remove(child)  # remove child if keeping toplevel
toplevel$destroy()      # or destroy if not

## add to a gWidget instance using gWidgetsRGtk2:
w <- gwindow("A gwidget's window")
g <- ggroup(cont = w, expand=TRUE)
add(g, child, expand=TRUE)

--John