[R] as.data.frame.table() to convert by() output to a data frame

Michael Ash mash at econs.umass.edu
Wed Nov 25 22:11:26 CET 2009

Dear all,

This seems to be working, but I'd like to make sure that I'm not doing
anything wrong.

I am using by() to construct a complicated summary statistic by
several factors in my data (specifically, the 90-50 income ratio by
city and race).

cityrace.by <- by(microdata, list(microdata$city,microdata$race),
function (x) quantile(x$income, probs=0.9) / quantile(x$income,
probs=0.5) )

I would now like to use the data created by by() as a dataset with
city-race as the unit of observation.

However, cityrace.data <- as.data.frame(cityrace.by) does not work because
"Error in as.data.frame.default(city.by) :
  cannot coerce class "by" into a data.frame"

The following is not a documented use of as.data.frame.table(), but it
seems to work.  It gives the columns slightly strange names, including
"Freq" for the statistic computed in by by() but otherwise, the
dataframe is indexed by city and race with the 90-50 ratio as the
variable

cityrace.data <- as.data.frame.table(cityrace.by)

Any objections?

Best,
Michael

--