[R] R installation error: perl not found

Cristian Opazo cropazo at vassar.edu
Wed Nov 25 21:28:39 CET 2009

Hello:

I'm trying to install R 2.10 on a Linux 64-bit machine running RHE4 using the "R-core-2.10.0-2.el4.i386.rpm" install package I downloaded from http://cran.opensourceresources.org/. After executing the RPM, the system looks for package dependencies and I get the following error message:

Package not found
The following package could not be found in your system. Installation cannot continue until it is installed.
Unlocatable package: perl (File::Copy::Recursive)
Required by ('R-core', '2.10.0', '2.el4')

The strange thing is that I've updated my system to the latest RHE-blessed version of perl already:

[root at bunuel bin]# perl -v
This is perl, v5.8.5 built for x86_64-linux-thread-multi
Copyright 1987-2004, Larry Wall

I tried installing the 32-bit version but ran into the same problem (no perl package found).

Please help... and Happy Thanksgiving to everybody!

Thanks,

Cristian