[R] Grouped Barplot

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Nov 25 20:45:30 CET 2009

On Nov 25, 2009, at 1:48 PM, Gary wrote:

> Hi R Users,
>
> I tried plotting a similar boxplot as it is on the FOLLOWING LINK:
>
> http://www.imachordata.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/boxplot.png

Looks like a product of a function from ggplot2. In fact trimming that
URL brings you to a page with the code that created it!

> Sample data is attached --

No, it's not. Read the Posting Guide for what file types are
acceptable to the server. I suspect you will get better success if the
extension is ".txt", even if it is comma separated.

Or better yet follow the directions there for posting data in a form
that can be enclosed in your posting and  copy-pasted into the console
session.

> there are 9 years and 5 cities. In my case I'm
> looking to plot "Year" on x-axis and grouping boxplots by "City". I
> tried
> the following code.
>
> foo<-read.table("SampleData.csv", sep=",", header=TRUE)
> attach(foo)
> boxplot(Admit ~ City + Year, range=0.5, col=2:6) # its not solving the
> purpose
>
> I need some help with:
> 1) Plotting only 9 labels on x-axis (1996-2004).
> 2) For each "Year", I need to plot FIVE boxplots -- one for each
> "City". [so
> it will look like nine clusters with five boxplots each (with no gap
> between
> them, but with gaps between year labels].
> 3) Adding "MEAN" to the boxplots.
> 4) And, legend including "color" + "city name".
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories
West Hartford, CT