[R] Kerning issues with CairoPDF

Karl Ove Hufthammer karl at huftis.org
Wed Nov 25 09:27:49 CET 2009

Dear list members

I'm using CairoPDF to generate PDF (because of its font embedding and
support for transparent colours). However, at least on my (Windows)
system, the text it outputs seems to have completely wrong kerning.
Here's an example:

CairoPDF("test.pdf")
  plot(rnorm(100),xlab="Ovreset")
dev.off()

The v is (slightly) too far away from the O, it's much too close to the
r, partially overlapping it, and the e is too far away from the s.

Can anyone reproduce it? Any ideas what's causing it, if it's possible
to fix it, or if just a bug in CairoPDF. I remember a kerning-related
change in R 2.9.0. Could that be related?

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.10.0 (2009-10-26)
i386-pc-mingw32

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=Norwegian-Nynorsk_Norway.1252
[2] LC_CTYPE=Norwegian-Nynorsk_Norway.1252
[3] LC_MONETARY=Norwegian-Nynorsk_Norway.1252
[4] LC_NUMERIC=C
[5] LC_TIME=Norwegian-Nynorsk_Norway.1252

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] Cairo_1.4-5

[1] tools_2.10.0