[R] Translation from R codes to SAS.

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Tue Nov 24 17:53:41 CET 2009

You should really learn at least basic SAS yourself.  Don't abandon R, but if you use R only because it is the only program you know, then you are making an uninformed decision.  If you learn SAS and still prefer R (I do) then it is an informed decision and much better.  And your teachers are not the only ones still using SAS, when you go out into the real world and try to get a job you will probably be working with people who use SAS, SPSS, Stata, Statit, etc.  Potential employers will not be interested in hiring you if they will need someone else to translate for you when you work with others.

Personally, I think that every statistics graduate should be familiar (not necessarily expert) with at least 3 different stats packages.  I ask about different packages when I am interviewing job candidates.  If someone knows 3 or more, then I can be fairly confident that they could learn another if needed.  If they only know 1 (even if it is my favorite and suggested one (R)), then I don't know if they will be able to use any other tools or communicate reasonably with other researchers who use a different package.

So take this opportunity to learn at least the basics of SAS (and pick up something else as well), then make the informed decision as to which is your preferred program and also have the skills to collaborate with others.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org