[R] Configuring R-2.10 help html server on Linux?

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Tue Nov 24 02:57:20 CET 2009

On Nov 23, 2009, at 7:13 PM, Tom Wainwright wrote:

> On 11/23/2009 04:39 PM, Marc Schwartz wrote:
>>
>> The proxy issue is referenced in ?tools::startDynamicHelp, which is
>> linked from ?help.start:
>>
>> "Details

>> The browser in use does need to be able to connect to the loopback
>> interface: occasionally it is set to use a proxy for HTTP on all
>> interfaces, which will not work – the solution is to add an exception
>> for 127.0.0.1.
>>
>> ..."
>>
>> The Firefox configuration/preference dialogs are similar across OSs,
>> albeit on OSX they are at the top of the display rather than on the
>> Firefox application window frame as on other OSs. Here is link to the
>> Mozilla support site:
>>
>> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Options+window+-+Advanced+panel#Network_tab
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> Marc Schwartz
>>

> Marc,
>
> Thanks for the tips on where to find it in 'help'.  I wouldn't have
> thought of looking under startDynamicHelp, as I already knew the
> server was starting up OK.  Also, that advice about proxies doesn't
> actually appear in the help for tools::startDynamicHelp in my
> version (2.10.0 (2009-10-26)); maybe it was added or removed
> recently??

Tom,

Apologies. Upon further review, it looks like that last paragraph was
added by Prof. Ripley on 10/29 in SVN Rev 50257.

I am using a more recent version:

   R version 2.10.0 Patched (2009-11-07 r50337)

so I have it here. Thus, I need to overturn my initial call on the
field...

You can see the original 2.10.0 release version of the file here:

   https://svn.r-project.org/R/tags/R-2-10-0/src/library/tools/man/startDynamicHelp.Rd

and the current 2.10.0 patched version here, which has some other
changes by Duncan and Kurt:

   https://svn.r-project.org/R/branches/R-2-10-branch/src/library/tools/man/startDynamicHelp.Rd

Regards,

Marc