[R] how do i persuade IT to install R on PCs ?? ...and should I ??

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Nov 23 14:24:36 CET 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 1:01 PM, David Winsemius <dwinsemius at comcast.net> wrote:

> It was a good read. We had a recent example submitted to r-help where
> I had occasion to test their "solution 2" (use OO.org' Calc) and found
> it to be just as bad at curve fitting for a polynomial as had been
> Excel. Take a look at the pdf attached to this r-help item:
>
> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2009-November/218005.html

 Well, the OO.org guys are trying to make something compatible with a
piece of MS software, but maybe this is taking it too far.

 I love the story that sections of Microsoft XML spec for Office says
things like "Do whatever Excel does", thus setting into stone the bugs
inherent in that package as an ISO standard...

Barry