[R] find data (date) gaps in time series

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Nov 20 15:04:28 CET 2009

On Nov 20, 2009, at 6:26 AM, Stefan Strohmeier wrote:

> Dear R users,
>
> I have a time series of precipitation data. The time series
> comprises ~ 20 years and it is supposed to be constant (one value
> per day), but due to some failure of the measuring device some days
> or periods are missing. I would like to find these missing days or
> periods just to get a first idea about the reliability of the
> measurements. The only function I could find was is.constant(), but
> of course I only get a true or false statement instead of the dates
> missing.
> Google searches and a look at the R help mailing did not reveal an
> answer.
>
> Please find attached a few dates of the time series with missing
> values from February to April. I would like R to detect those
> missing dates.
>
 > dtdta <- read.table(textConnection("2916 2002-02-17  0.0
+ 2917 2002-02-18  0.3
+ 2918 2002-02-19  3.8
+ 2919 2002-02-20 43.6
+ 2920 2002-02-21  1.0
+ 2921 2002-02-22  5.6
+ 2922 2002-02-23 10.6
+ 2923 2002-02-24  2.8
+ 2924 2002-02-25 19.1
+ 2925 2002-02-26 20.5
+ 2926 2002-03-06  0.0
+ 2927 2002-05-06  0.0
+ 2928 2002-05-07  0.0
+ 2929 2002-05-08  0.0
+ 2930 2002-05-09  0.0") )

 > dtdta[dtdta$V3 == 0, ]

      V1         V2 V3
1  2916 2002-02-17  0
11 2926 2002-03-06  0
12 2927 2002-05-06  0
13 2928 2002-05-07  0
14 2929 2002-05-08  0
15 2930 2002-05-09  0

You seem to be using "0" as a missing marker. That's bad practice, but
I suppose it's possble you cannot change how your instruments report.
You should be using NA and the functions that support proper treatment
of "missingness".

--
David