[R] advice about R for windows speed

bartjoosen bartjoosen at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 20 09:52:30 CET 2009

I can only speak for the Windows part, but isn't it possible to test on
Windows 7 64bit?
(you can download a test version, and use a dual boot setup to try)
I always heard about the difficulties with WinXP 64bit, so maybe that is
just the problem?
Another thing to find out: maybe you can take advantage of the 4 processors
of your quadcore by using snow or similar?

Bart

Carlos Hernandez-7 wrote:

> [...]
> up
> the code in the windows xp server with QuadCore Xeon processors.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Carlos
>

> ================
>
> **Server running WinXP 64bit (R 2.10.0 32bit , QuadCore Xeon 2.6GHz 8G
> Ram)
> Time per 25 Iterations "6.17"
>
> --------
> **Dell Latitude running Linux 32bit (R 2.9.2, Intel Core 2 Duo P9500 @
> 2.53GHz, 4GB ram)
> Time per 25 iterations "2.88"
>
> **Dell Latitude running Win Vista 32bit (R 2.10.0, Intel Core 2 Duo P9500
> @
> 2.53GHz, 4GB ram) with New DLL in terminal
> Time per 25 iterations "5.53"
>
> -------
> **Macbook pro running Snow Leopard (R 2.10.0, 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo &
> 2GB
> ram)
> Time per 25 Iterations "4.58"  (both R 2.10.0 32bit and 64bit produce
> almost
> identical timings)
>
> **Macbook pro running WinXp natively (R 2.10.0 32bit, 2.16GHz Intel Core 2
> Duo & 2GB ram)
> Time per 25 Iterations "8.23"
>
> note: for the Dell and MacBook Pro we replaced the Rblas.dll file of R for
> Windows with the file available here
> http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/ATLAS/C2D/
>
> ==============
>

> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 5:06 PM, Marc Schwartz <marc_schwartz at me.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Nov 19, 2009, at 9:25 AM, Carlos Hernandez wrote:
>>
>>  Dear All,
>>> I appreciate any advice or hints you could provide about the following.
>>>
>>> We are running R code in a server (running Windows XP and QuadCore Xeon
>>> processors, see details below) and we would like to use the server
>>> efficiently. Our code takes a bit more than 6 seconds per 25 iterations
>>> in
>>> the server using a default R 2.10.0 installation.
>>>
>>> We tested our code in two other computers, a Dell Latitute and a MacBook
>>> Pro, and from the details that i include below you will notice that the
>>> code
>>> needs almost twice the time when we used R for Windows compared against
>>> the
>>> time the code needs when we use Linux or MacOSX 10.6.2 in each of these
>>> computers.
>>>
>>> I'm sorry I don't provide details on the code we are using. The code
>>> consists of all sort of operations (matrix inverses, random number
>>> generation, vectorized functions, a few loops, and so on). I hope I can
>>> get
>>> some advice from you despite the lack of specific code details.
>>>
>>> Is there any important R feature we should configure manually in the
>>> windows
>>> server to speed the code up? Is there an optimized BLAS available
>>> for this type of machine? Is these something else apart of an optimized