[R] plot filled.contour over continent map

Ray Brownrigg Ray.Brownrigg at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Thu Nov 19 19:49:41 CET 2009

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009, Matthias Demuzere wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> As a newbie in R I would like to do the following (simple?) thing:
>
> to plot a filled.contour plot over a map showing country boundaries (e.g.
> for Europe) What i do is:
> map('worldHires',xlim=c(-10,40),ylim=c(35,70),boundary = TRUE,border=0.1)
> map.axes()
> filled.contour(mslp, zlim=c(1000,1020),color.palette =
> colorRampPalette(c("blue", "white", "red")),main="Avegared MLSP (hPa) ERA40
> JJA [1996-2002]", xlab="Longitude",ylab="Latitude")
>
> in which the mslp file is a netcdf file, with mean sea level pressure for a
> range of lat/lon values.
>
> If I run the above-mentioned, I just get the map of Europe, without the
> contourplot. When commenting the "map" statements I can see the
> contourplot.
>
> So I am doing something wrong, but I really have no idea what?

Does the filled.contour() call work on its own? It should, right?

What I would expect to see is just the contour plot, since that should overwrite the map()
plot.

Once you get filled.contour() working, try adding the map using:
map('worldHires',xlim=c(-10,40),ylim=c(35,70),boundary = TRUE, border=0.1, add = TRUE)

You may have to put the xlim= and ylim= into the filled.contour() call to get what you
want.

HTH
Ray Brownrigg