[R] Efficient cbind of elements from two lists

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Thu Nov 19 17:06:23 CET 2009

Can you restructure your analysis so you don't need
to split the data.frame itself?  I'm assuming the split
was slow because there are a lot of groups.  Splitting
a data.frame into lots of pieces is considerably slower
than splitting a few numeric or character columns in it.

  > df <- data.frame(group=rep(1:1e5, each=2), score=1:2e5)
  > system.time(split(df, df$group)) # split entire data.frame into 1e5
parts
     user  system elapsed
   117.32   38.42  154.34
  > system.time(split(df$score, df$group)) # split 2nd column into 1e5
parts
     user  system elapsed
     0.43    0.03    0.46

If R does things the way S+ does this is because splitting
simple vectors is done in C code but splitting data.frames
invokes the S-language [.data.frame function, which is
relatively slow when selecting rows from a data.frame.

I'd suggest using ave() (or a function from the plyr package),
working on columns from your data.frame and adding ave's
output as a column in your big data.frame.  E.g., to compute
the average score in each group
  > system.time(df$meanScore <- ave(df$score, df$group, FUN=mean))
     user  system elapsed
     3.37    0.00    3.50
  > df[1:6,]
    group score meanScore