[R] Normal distribution test

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Nov 17 16:20:27 CET 2009

On 11/17/2009 10:07 AM, rkevinburton at charter.net wrote:
> This is probably an even more basic question but shapiro.test return both the statistic (w) and the significance (pw) of the statistic. For this test the null-hypothesis is that the distirbution is not normal so very small values of pw would mean that there is very little chance that the distiribution is not normal. Correct?

I think you have an extra "not" in your description of the null.  But
more importantly, a small p-value just means that you had a value of the
test statistic that would be unusually extreme if the null was true.

Whether that means there is a small probability of the null being true
depends on information outside the test.  It's essentially a Bayesian
question, and Bayesians wouldn't base their decision on just the p-value.

For example, if I flip a fair coin 100 times and see 30 heads,
binom.test() tells me that the p value would be 7.85e-05.  That doesn't
mean the probability that the coin is fair is low:  it just means I saw
an unusually small number of heads.

Now if I wasn't sure whether the coin was fair or not, I'd take the low
p-value as evidence that it was not.  But the p-value alone isn't
sufficient to let me calculate a probability of the null being true.

Duncan Murdoch