[R] parsing Google search results

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Nov 17 09:17:44 CET 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 7:29 PM, Philip Leifeld <Leifeld at coll.mpg.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> how can I parse Google search results? The following code returns
> "integer(0)" instead of "1" although the results of the query clearly
> contain the regex "cran".
>
> ####
> address <- url("http://www.google.com/search?q=cran")
> open(address)
> lines <- readLines(address)
> grep("cran", lines[3])
> ####

 Hmmm how could that be? It's not like you're getting any warnings or
anything...

 Or are you? I get a couple:

 > address <- url("http://www.google.com/search?q=cran")
 > open(address)
 > lines <- readLines(address)
 Warning message:
 In readLines(address) :
   incomplete final line found on 'http://www.google.com/search?q=cran'

 - but that's probably because there's no newline at the end of the
data. Ignore that.

 > grep("cran",lines[3])
 integer(0)
 Warning message:
 In grep("cran", lines[3]) : input string 1 is invalid in this locale

 Oh now that looks serious. And relevant. Did you get this warning?
You didn't say. I'll assume you didn't, because otherwise you surely
would have mentioned it. So I won't waste my time typing my solution
in now.

 Oh alright. You may need to set the encoding when you open the url to 'latin1':

 > address <- url("http://www.google.com/search?q=cran",encoding="latin1")

 > grep("cran",lines[3])
 [1] 1

So is that the problem? Did you get the warning message and not show
us? Transcripts (inputs and outputs) are good.

Barry