[R] Error on reading an excel file

cls59 chuck at sharpsteen.net
Mon Nov 16 19:02:01 CET 2009

anna_l wrote:

> Hello everybody, here is the code I use to read an excel file containing
> two rows, one of date, the other of prices:
> library(RODBC)
> 	z <- odbcConnectExcel("SPX_HistoricalData.xls")
> 	datas <- sqlFetch(z,"Sheet1")
> 	close(z)
> It works pretty well but the only thing is that the datas stop at row 7530
> and I don´t know why datas is a data frame that contains 7531 rows with
> the last two ones = NA...

I find this occurs sometimes when I export an Excel worksheet to CSV.  Excel
will include one or more rows of blank cells after the data stops.  I would
imagine the behavior you are seeing with RODBC is due to the same issue.

I don't know if there is anything that can be done about it other than to
trim your dataset back to the appropriate length once it gets into R.

Good luck!

-Charlie

-----
Charlie Sharpsteen