[R] extracting estimated covariance parameters from lme fit

Green, Gerwyn (greeng6) g.green8 at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Nov 16 17:25:43 CET 2009

Dear all

Apologies in advance as this seems like a trivial question. Nonetheless,
a question I haven't been able to resolve myself !. Within a single
repetition of a simulation (to be repeated many times) I am fitting the
following linear mixed model using lme...

Y_{gtr} = \mu + U_{g} +  W_{gt} + Z_{gtr}

U_{g} ~ N(0,\gamma^{2}), W_{gt} ~ N(0,\kappa^{2}), Z_{gtr} ~
N(0,\tau^{2})

g = 1,...,G
t = 1,...,T
r= 1,...,R

...by doing

> Model.fit <- lme(Y ~ 1, data=data, random= ~1|gene/treatment)

I would like to be able to extract the estimated covariance parameters
contained within the lme object. I know if I type...

> Model.fit$sigma

...then I get the estimated residual variance, i.e. within the context
of the above model, the estimate for \tau. But I would also like to
extract the estimates for \gamma and \kappa by doing
Model.fit$"something". I am aware that I can view the output using the
extractor function "summary", but within a single repetition of my
simulation routine I want to be able to code something like

gamma <- Model.fit$.....
kappa <- Model.fit$.....

and then plug `gamma' and `kappa' into some formulae. This process of
fitting and extracting will be repeated many times, which is why I wish
to automate everything.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated

Best

Gerwyn Green
School of Health and Medicine
Lancaster University