[R] R crashing

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Sun Nov 15 13:10:30 CET 2009

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 11:57 AM, Dimitri Szerman <dimitrijoe at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks. The reason I didn't want to do something like that is because, in
> the event of a crash, I'll loose everything that was done. That's why I
> though of appending the results often.

 Oops yes, I missed the 'append=TRUE' flag. That's a good idea.

 Last time I did something similar to this I used a relational
database for saving. I created a table of all the i,j pairs with
columns i,j,distance and 'ok'. 'ok' was set to False initially. Then
I'd query the db for a row with 'ok=False', and go about getting the
distance. If I got a good distance back I set 'ok=True' and never
bothered getting that again.

  This was in Python with SQLite as the database engine, but you can
do something similar in R. With a distributed database you could
easily split the queries between as many servers as you can get your
hands on.

 Barry