[R] R installation on UNIX machine

Powers, Randall - BLS Powers.Randall at bls.gov
Fri Nov 13 17:19:16 CET 2009

Hello All,

I have downloaded and untarred R 2.10.0 onto my SUN UNIX machine. When I
run ./configure, it runs through a series of questions and stops at this
(and I get this when I try the make command):

checking for iconv.h... yes
checking for iconv... in libiconv
checking whether iconv accepts "UTF-8", "latin1" and "UCS-*"... no
configure: error: a suitable iconv is essential
# make
make: not found

Could someone decipher this and tell me how I would get a suitable
iconv? And is that indeed what it causing make to not be found?

I did find this info below in the admin manual appendix. However, when I
click on the link and run the suggested install, I get the same results.

A suitably comprehensive iconv function is essential. The R usage
requires iconv to be able to translate between "latin1" and "UTF-8", to
recognize "" as the current encoding and to translate to and from the
Unicode wide-character formats "UCS-[24][BL]E" - this is true for glibc
but not of most commercial Unixes. However, you can make use of GNU
libiconv (possibly as a plug-in replacement: see
http://www.gnu.org/software/libiconv/.