[R] Help with Rserve

Ruben Cabrera nbenru at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 14:56:11 CET 2009

Dear colleagues:

I'm very interested in Rserve because I'm trying to model (time
series) remotely using a terminal (Windows XP) over a database in a
server (Windows Vista) by internet.

My first question: Is Rserve the solution to work remotely with R (for
time series analysis) with databases?

If this is the solution I have the next problem:

The client application of Rserve works over Windows XP and the side of
the server works over Windows Vista. Both of them are not located in a
local network but in differents buildings. The test of telnet works
fine in the side of the server and the firewalls of the sides are
disabled too.

I don't know if the sintaxis:
  Rserve(debug = FALSE, port = 6311, args = "remote enable")
is correct.
Or when i try to run the command in windows:
  > Rserve.exe remote enable
as administrator.

The R error says:
Error in socketConnection(host, port, open = "a+b", blocking = TRUE) :
 cannot open the connection
In addition: Warning message:
In socketConnection(host, port, open = "a+b", blocking = TRUE) :
 190.129.41.230:6311 cannot be opened

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Rubén Cabrera
http://rubendcl.blogspot.com/