[R] Getting Sphericity Tests for Within Subject Repeated Measure Anova (using "car" package)

Mike Lawrence Mike.Lawrence at dal.ca
Tue Nov 10 00:29:07 CET 2009

No luck as in...? What error did you encounter?

In your example data set, you only have 2 levels of each within-Ss
factor, in which case you shouldn't expect to obtain tests of
sphericity; as far as I understand it, sphericity necessarily holds
when for repeated measures with only 2 levels and tests are really
only possible for repeated measures with 3 or more levels.

I think it's analogous to how you don't need to test homogeneity of
variance when performing a paired t-test; the test ends up
representing the pairs as single distribution of difference scores
with a single variance.

Mike