[R] Getting Sphericity Tests for Within Subject Repeated Measure Anova (using "car" package) (Adjusted Dataset)

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Mon Nov 9 22:59:50 CET 2009

Sergios (Sergey) Charntikov wrote:
> Based on what you suggested I did the following:
>

> 1. Dataset$Sessn <- as.factor(Dataset$Sessn)
> 2. mod <- lm(cbind(Sessn=="1", Sessn=="2") ~ Trtmt, data=Dataset)
> 3. idata <- data.frame(Sessn=factor(1:2))
> 4. Anova(mod, idata=idata, idesign=~Sessn))
> ERROR:  The error SSP matrix is apparently of deficient rank = 0 < 1
>
> I have noticed that my DV (Response) is not in play in the coding above.
> Then I have modified it to:
>
> mod2 <- lm(*Response*~(cbind(Sessn=="1", Sessn=="2")) * Trtmt, data=Dataset)
> idata2 <- data.frame(Sessn=factor(1:2))
> Anova(mod, idata=idata2, idesign=~Sessn)
> ERROR: The error SSP matrix is apparently of deficient rank = 0 < 1
>
> Then I have modified it to:
>
> mod2 <- lm(Response~(cbind(Sessn=="1", Sessn=="2")) * Trtmt, data=Dataset)
> idata2 <- data.frame(Sessn=factor(1:2))
> Anova(mod, idata=idata2, idesign=~*(cbind(Sessn=="1", Sessn=="2")) * Trtmt*)
> ERROR:  object 'Trtmt' not found
>
> Then I have modified it to:
>
> mod2 <- lm(Response~(cbind(Sessn=="1", Sessn=="2")) * Trtmt, data=Dataset)
> idata2 <- data.frame(Sessn=factor(1:2))
> Anova(mod, idata=idata2, idesign=~(cbind(Sessn=="1", Sessn=="2")) * *
> Dataset$Trtmt*)
> ERROR:  variable lengths differ (found for 'Dataset$Trtmt') [THIS IS THE
> ERROR THAT I HAVE BEEN
> GETTING WITH MY ACTUAL DATASET FOLLOWING "CAR" PACKAGE RECOMMENDATIONS)

> Any idea what am I doing wrong?  I have attached my mock data for
> convenience in csv.

Either you forgot, or your mailer did not say that it is a text file,
and the mailing list software consequently scrubbed it...

I think what you need is an analysis of 6 observations with a
2x2==4-dimensional response. You may want to look at my paper in R News
2007-2. The reacttime example used there is pretty similar. You're not
going to get much sphericity testing when all factors have only two
levels, though.

> Sincerely,
>
> Sergios Charntikov (Sergey), MA
>
> Behavioral Neuropharmacology Lab
> Department of Psychology
> University of Nebraska-Lincoln
> Lincoln, NE 68588-0308  USA
>
> sergioschr at gmail.com
> www.unl.edu/psychoneuropharm/
>

> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 12:33 PM, John Fox <jfox at mcmaster.ca> wrote:
>
>> Dear Segios,
>>
>> For repeated-measures designs, the Anova() function requires a multivariate
>> linear model fit to the "wide" version of the data set, in which each of
>> the
>> repeated measures appears as a separate variable. It is necessary that you
>> have the same occasions observed for all subjects. For your scaled-down
>> example, you'd have two response variables named, e.g., Sessn1 and Sessn2.
>> Then you'd fit the multivariate linear model as mod <- lm(cbind(Sessn1,
>> Sessn2) ~ Trtmnt, data=Dataset). The idata data frame could simply be idata
>> <- data.frame(Sessn=factor(1:2)). Then you could get the MANOVA and
>> repeated-measure ANOVA, including sphericity test, etc., as
>> summary(Anova(mod, idata=idata, idesign=~Sessn)).
>>
>> I hope this helps,
>>  John
>>
>> --------------------------------
>> John Fox