[R] Getting Sphericity Tests for Within Subject Repeated Measure Anova (using "car" package) (Adjusted Dataset)

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Mon Nov 9 19:33:35 CET 2009

Dear Segios,

For repeated-measures designs, the Anova() function requires a multivariate
linear model fit to the "wide" version of the data set, in which each of the
repeated measures appears as a separate variable. It is necessary that you
have the same occasions observed for all subjects. For your scaled-down
example, you'd have two response variables named, e.g., Sessn1 and Sessn2.
Then you'd fit the multivariate linear model as mod <- lm(cbind(Sessn1,
Sessn2) ~ Trtmnt, data=Dataset). The idata data frame could simply be idata
<- data.frame(Sessn=factor(1:2)). Then you could get the MANOVA and
repeated-measure ANOVA, including sphericity test, etc., as
summary(Anova(mod, idata=idata, idesign=~Sessn)).

I hope this helps,
 John

John Fox
Senator William McMaster