[R] reference on contr.helmert and typo on its help page.

Peng Yu pengyu.ut at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 01:41:15 CET 2009

Dear John,

I did read Section 9.1.2 and various other textbooks before posting my
questions. But each reference uses slightly different notations and
terminology. I get confused and would like a description that
summaries everything so that I don't have to refer to many different
resources. May I ask a few questions on the section in your textbook?

Which variable in Section 9.1.2 is "a matrix of contrasts" mentioned
in the help page of 'contr.helmert'? Which matrix of contrast in R
corresponds to dummy regression? With different R formula, e.g. y ~ x
vs. y ~ x -1, $X_F$ (mentioned on page 189) is different and hence
$\beta_F$ (mentioned in eq. 9.3) is be different. So my understanding
is that the matrix of contrast should depend on the formula. But it is
not according to the help page of "contr.helmert".

Regards,
Peng