[R] EM algorithm to fit circular mix of uniform+Von Mises

Ravi Varadhan rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Sun Nov 8 01:35:17 CET 2009

Hi Mike,

I have an EM algorithm code for a binary von Mises mixture with 5 parameters: mixing proportion (p), 2 locations (m1, m2), and 2 dispersion parameters (k1, k2).  Of course, your model is nested within this one, where k1=Inf, m1 = arbitrary, m2=0.  You should be able to modify my code easily to fit this reduced model.  This will also allow you to perform a likelihood ratio test for whether the 5-parameter model is better than the 2-parameter model (approximately chi-squared with 3 d.o.f.).

Alternatively, you can directly estimate the 2-parameter model by maximizing the log-likelihood subject to constraints on the 2 parameters.  This is quite easy to do, but will not allow you comparison with a more general model.

Ravi.

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor,
School of Medicine