[R] Web implementation of R?

j verzani jverzani at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 17:47:40 CET 2009

Charlie Sharpsteen <chuck <at> sharpsteen.net> writes:

> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 10:54 PM, Sam Albers
> <tonightsthenight <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > Can anyone recommend a good example of web implementation of R? Can't seem
> > to find anything on my own.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Sam
>
> What do you mean by "web implementation"?
>
>   An interactive session?
>   A server to submit jobs to?
>   A website that presents results generated by R?
>
> The best web-based application I have seen that allows you to interact
> with R, is the version included in the Sage mathematics system.  You
> can access it at:
>
>   http://www.sagenb.org

In addition to sage, which has R as one of its many engines, there are some
other possible options
(with others not included here):

* RApache (http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/rapache/) allows one to mix R into
the web server
 allowing for pages generated by R. An example is
http://data.vanderbilt.edu/rapache/bbplot/.
There are some projects using RApache that may interest you:

  * http://www.jeroenooms.com/ has some webapps built with RApace and extjs
  * the gWidgetsWWW package has some examples:
    http://www.math.csi.cuny.edu/gWidgetsWWW/run/ex-index

* http://www.r-live.org is basically an R terminal with graphics that can be used
  through the web. A similar thing is provided by Rweb
  (http://bayes.math.montana.edu/Rweb/Rweb.general.html).

* The Biocep project http://biocep-distrib.r-forge.r-project.org/ access
  R servers over the cloud with a client

--John