[R] Fancy quotes on Windows

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Fri Nov 6 16:40:29 CET 2009

Hi,

I don't use Windows as my primary OS anymore, so didn't notice this
until recently. In R-2.10.0 under Windows useFancyQuotes is FALSE by
default, but this doesn't seem to affect the rendering of (text) help pages.

This is not a problem if I run via the Rgui or Rterm (via DOS prompt),
as the help pages are rendered in a popup window that understands
directional quotes. However, if I run under emacs/ESS, the help is
rendered within emacs, which doesn't understand directional quotes, so
any quoted text is surrounded by \221thetext\222, which is obviously
difficult to read.

Is there another setting that I am missing that affects the usage of
directional quotes for the help pages?

Thanks,

Jim

--