[R] Windows build from source.

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Fri Nov 6 00:28:45 CET 2009

rkevinburton at charter.net wrote:
> I am working through some of the gotchas with building R from source under Window. I have found that if I don't execute the make commands as Administrator I get alot of "permission denied' errors. Even if I give myself full control of the directory and files. Strange. I also found that the environment variable TMPDIR must be set otherwise the build process assumes a temporary directory like /tmp which is not Windows compatible it is more like Unix.

I've just started testing on a Windows 7 system, and have discovered
that the Rtools installer installs some of the R "extras" with the owner
set to Administrators.  This includes some of the directories it
creates, so you aren't allowed to change them unless you run as
administrator.  A workaround is to change the ownership of all of these
things to your own username.  (If you have Cygwin, this can be done
using "chown -R yourusername *".  If not, there are instructions on the
web for doing it from the file properties dialog in Windows.)  I'm
looking into ways of doing this from the Rtools installer.

Duncan Murdoch