[R] Non parametric clustering

Christian Hennig chrish at stats.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Nov 5 14:56:57 CET 2009

Dear Giorgio,

Fixed Point Clustering is somewhat related to the mean shift algorithm,
see fixmahal in the package fpc and the references given there (note that
this is for overlapping clustering, not partitioning).
Another potentially useful method could be dbscan, as well implemented in
fpc.
mclust offers Gaussian mixtures with a uniform "noise" component (may make
sense after transforming your variables).
trimcluster has trimmed k-means, if you look for spherical clusters and
the problem with normality is basically outliers or heavy tails.
You may also have a look at pam/clara in package cluster.

Best regards,
Christian