[R] reference on p.adjust()

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Tue Nov 3 22:03:33 CET 2009

Peng Yu wrote:
> 2009/11/3 Uwe Ligges <ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de>:
>>
>> Peng Yu wrote:
>>> I'm wondering if there is a textbook that summarize the methods on
>>> adjusting p-values for multiple comparisons. Most of the references on
>>> p.adjust() are over 10 years old.
>> Being 10 years old does not mean the calculus behind those methods has
>> changed.
>
> I never said that the calculus has been changed.
>
>>> I feel it would be better if
>>> somebody could recommend me a textbook on multiple hypothesis
>>> correction, so that I can quickly get a general idea of different
>>> methods.
>>
>> There are some around just search for your keywords.
>
> I prefer descriptions from books. Most online description are not very
> satisfactory, because they are not peer reviewed.

Sure, I meant to find the books. There is for example focussed on
Bioinformatics applications:

Dudoit, Sandrine and van der Laan, Mark J (2008):
Multiple Testing Procedures with Applications to Genomics, Springer, New
York.

But that is just one example - and I tend not to mention books in
answers to such requests since books are a matter of taste and may
depend on the audience, community in which to use the method, and the
application.

> I looked through Testing Statistical Hypotheses by Lehmann. This book
> only gives references to the recent works. If you happen to know a
> review article or a textbook that summarize all the methods in
> multiple hypothesis correction. Please let me know.

For the good old methods, I only happen to know German textbooks. Should
be summarized in any good overview textbook on testing, though.

Best,
Uwe Ligges