[R] OpenOffice Calc ODBC equivalent

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Tue Nov 3 14:24:25 CET 2009

On Nov 2, 2009, at 10:10 PM, Kenneth Roy Cabrera Torres wrote:

> Hi R users:
>
> I am using RODBC to create some new ".xls" files each with
> several sheets (about 100) with sqlSave() from a data.frame
> inside R  without any problem, but on windows XP platform.
>
> I would like to know if it is posible to make a similar
> solution on linux with openoffice?
>
> RODBC work only (for the moment) with ".xls" on windows,
> via the ODBC driver.
>
> Is it posible to make the same thing on openoffice?
> I mean, an ".odt" file with several sheets each, generated from
> a data.frame in R?
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Kenneth

See this post from late 2007:

   http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/e3/help/07/12/6478.html

As far as I know, nothing has changed vis-a-via ODBC connectivity TO
OpenOffice files. You can use ODBC FROM OpenOffice to connect to
external data sources.

A search of CRAN does not reveal any packages/functions to would
appear to provide a facility to directly write data frames to a Calc
file. However, you can always write to a XLS file, open it in Calc and
re-save it as a native Calc file. Of course, anyone with Calc can open
an XLS file, so you are not losing much in terms of portability by
saving to an XLS file and distributing that. You also make it easier
for folks who may be using other 'office' applications that do not
have import filters for OO.org file formats.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz