[R] how can I convert .csv format to matrix???

Dieter Menne dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de
Mon Nov 2 17:38:30 CET 2009

bbslover wrote:

> In my disk C:/ have a  a.csv file, I want to read it  to R, importantly,
> when I use x=read.csv("C:/a.csv") ,the x format  is  data.frame,  I want
> to it to become matrix format,  how can I do it ?

as.matrix should do the job; if it does not (second example), you probably
have rownames or some other string in your data set.

Dieter

# use read.csv instead
x = data.frame(a=1:10,b=11:20)
xm = as.matrix(x)
str(xm)
xm # looks good

x1 = data.frame(a=1:10,b=11:20,c=letters[1:10])
xm1 = as.matrix(x1)
str(xm1)
xm1 # looks strange, because it's all strings