[R] wilcox.test construction in r

jomni jomni1 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 08:47:50 CET 2009

Hi,  I am very confused with constructing the wilcox.test in R.
I have two populations 'original' and 'test'.
I want to know if the 'test' is generally 'lower' than original.
I use alpha of 0.05.

So do I write the function as wilcox.test(original, test, alternative="l")?
or wlcox.test(original, test, alternative = "g")?
or wilcox.test(test, original, alternative="g")?
or wilcox.test(test, original, alternative="l")?

How do I interpret the p-value given my criteria?
Do I reject null when p-value less than 0.05?
or greater than 0.95?

Not a statistics major here so I'm really confused.
Need some help.
Thanks.