[R] strange behavior when reading csv - line wraps

Martin Tomko martin.tomko at geo.uzh.ch
Sun May 31 12:06:01 CEST 2009

Dear Jim,
with the help of Ted, we diagnosed that the cause is in the extreme
variability in line length during reading in. As the table column number
is apparently determined fro mthe first five lines, what exceeds this
length gets automatically on the next line.
I am now trying to find a way to read in the data despite this. I have
no control over the table extent, the only thing that would make sense
according to my data would be to read in a fixed number of columns and
merge all remaining columns as a long string in the last one. No idea
how to do this, though.

Thanks
Martin

Postdoctoral Research Assistant