[R] A problem about "nlminb"

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat May 30 21:47:01 CEST 2009

On May 30, 2009, at 2:19 PM, popo UBC wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> When I use "nlminb" to minimize a function with a variable of almost
> 200,000
> dimension, I got the following error.
>
>> nlminb(start=start0, msLE2, control = list(x.tol = .001))
> Error in vector("double", length) : vector size specified is too large
> I had the following setting
>
> options(expressions=60000)
> options(object.size=10^15)

That would do nothing on my machine, but then you may have a different
(unspecified) OS. You may have unrealistic expectations. 10^15 seems a
bit optimistic to me, even if you were supplying that number in a
manner that R would recognize.

?mem.limits   #  should give you information specific to your OS.

If you use Windoze, try also:

http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rw-FAQ.html#There-seems-to-be-a-limit-on-the-memory-it-uses_0021

http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rw-FAQ.html#How-do-I-install-R-for-Windows_003f

> I have no idea about what might be wrong. Any suggestion is highly
> appreciated!!

And we have no idea what sort of setup you have. You could, of
course,  read the specifics for your OS in the Installation Guide:

cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.pdf

--
David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories