[R] Simple.lm

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat May 30 21:29:47 CEST 2009

On May 30, 2009, at 1:22 PM, malcolm Crouch wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> I am struggling with two problems :
>
> 1. simple.lm - where do i find the package that installs that ... i
> have a
> looked on the help files and it says simple .... but when i go to cran
> through load.packages() it does not come up ?

Under the heading of "Teach a man to fish, and he will not go hungry..."

Learn to use:

?help.search

# and

http://search.r-project.org/nmz.html

> 2.  whenever I use qq.plot through library(car) it mentions i need a
> graphics device ? perhaps you could me there as i loaded a graphics
> device
> and got an error ., I loaded cairo and cairo device and bot would not
> install ? im not to sure why ?

Graphics devices are among the most OS-specific components of R. You
have not followed the Posting Guide's advice to include such
information. On my machine a graphics device gets loaded by default
when I issue a plot command, but it's possible that may not be true on
all systems.

?device

perhaps you need to issue dev.new()   .... just a guess.

 > dev.cur()
null device
           1
 > plot(1,1)  # draws the plot
 > dev.cur()
quartz
      2

library(car)
x<-rchisq(100, df=2); qq.plot(x)  # draws the plot

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories
West Hartford, CT