[R] 'options=utils::recover' not working in .Rprofile or within R

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Sat May 30 11:41:52 CEST 2009

On 29/05/2009 11:45 PM, Mark Kimpel wrote:
> For years I have been using options(error = recover) either in .Rprofile or
> from within R for debugging purposes. The functionality of this appears to
> have changed and I can't recover it (no pun intended) using the ?options
> help page. How can I get the old functionality back, particularly from
> within .Rprofile? A specific line entry would be appreciated. An example,
> the help page, and sessionInfo() follow. Thanks, Mark

I don't think there were any substantial changes in 2.9.0, so I would
guess that you have a local object named "recover" or "options", and it
is causing your  problems.  When I run options(error=recover) and your
two lines below, I get this output:

 > options(error=recover)
 > b.func <- function(x) {y <- x + 2; nonsense; y}
 > b.func(3)
Error in b.func(3) : object 'nonsense' not found

Enter a frame number, or 0 to exit

1: b.func(3)

Selection: 0

which is what you wanted.

To put this into your .Rprofile, you need to use utils::recover (the
utils package hasn't been attached yet).  That also works for me.

There have been changes to recover in R-devel,

Duncan Murdoch