[R] "1L" and "0L"

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu May 28 12:46:24 CEST 2009

On 28/05/2009 3:20 AM, bogaso.christofer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently I come through those R-expressions and understood that "1L" means
> "1" and "0L" means "0". Why they are so? I mean, what the excess meanings
> they carry, instead writing simple "1" or "0"? Is there any more this kind
> of expressions in R?

Gavin explained the L marks the number as being stored as an integer.
The i in 1i is somewhat similar: it marks the number as complex (but
also changes the value, 1i is the imaginary value, not the real one).
There's a discussion on this in section 3.1.1 "Constants" in the R
Language Definition.

Duncan Murdoch