[R] Problem with fractional seconds

Tim Clark mudiver1200 at yahoo.com
Tue May 26 23:52:36 CEST 2009

Dear List,

I am having problems converting a file with fractional seconds to class POSIXct.  I have set my options to include digits.secs and my format to just time, but my output is the current date with my time lacking the fractions of a second.  For example:

options(digits.secs=3)
t<-c("06:00:00.100","06:00:01.231")
myt<-as.POSIXct(t,format="%H:%M:%S")
myt

[1] "2009-05-26 06:00:00 HST" "2009-05-26 06:00:01 HST"

I would like the output to be just time with fractional seconds. I.e.

06:00:00.100,06:00:01.231

I have also tried Chron times() which did not work either.  Interestingly, Sys.time() does produce fractional seconds, so I know the options are working.

I would appreciate your help and suggestions.

Aloha,

Tim

Tim Clark
Department of Zoology