[R] moving from Windows to Linux - need help

Jarle Bjørgeengen jarle at bjorgeengen.net
Tue May 26 13:13:04 CEST 2009

Hi Robert,

I agree with Robert.

It seems the cleanest way of getting R on Linux is to use one of the
Linux distros R is packaged for.

It may work otherwise, but there _will_ be more fiddling around
resolving dependencies manually or semi manually.

Best regards.
- Jarle Bjørgeengen

On May 26, 2009, at 12:56 , Paul Hiemstra wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> I had the exact same problem on my eeepc 900. I replaced the xandros-
> like linux in this way:
>
> - Download an Ubuntu iso file (I use 8.04, Kubuntu)
> - Put the .iso file on a usb stick (use unetbootin)
> - Install the ubuntu version
> - Install the eeepc specific stuff from http://array.org/ubuntu/
> (this is a repository with an eeepc kernel available and other
> stuff, the site provides a lot of info on how to install the eeepc
> specific things)
>
> Now you have a "normal" linux distro (ubuntu) and you can use the
> normal cran repositories (debian) to install R.
>
> This worked very well for me, it was quite easy to get ubuntu
> running. I know that this isn't an exact answer to your question,
> but I found that re installing linux was the best option.
>
> cheers and hth,
> Paul
>
> Robert Kinley wrote:
>> hi
>>
>> I've used R for many years on windows machines, but
>> have now acquired an Asus eee 1000 linux machine.
>>
>> In order to get the best out of the machine, I used the
>> 'pimpmyeee.sh' script, to get the full KDE desktop.
>>
>> The version of Linux is Xandros, which I believe is
>> a close relative of Debian, but sadly I have only a nodding
>> acquaintance with Linux at present.
>>
>> Naturally I want to have the current version of R on it,
>> and I understand (or possibly misunderstand) that the binary for
>> the Debian flavour of Linux should do the trick.
>>
>> I have tried -
>> 1. using synaptic to add the appropriate (I think) CRAN
>> repository  ... but every combination I have tried
>>    gives a 404 error
>>
>> 2. downloading from CRAN what I think is a zipped-up version of
>> r-base software, and thewn using the eee's file-manager
>> 'install DEB package' option ... but this returns 'cannot load ... '.
>>

>> I'm a bit stuck ... can anyone help please ?
>>

>>        thanks          Bob Kinley

> --
> Drs. Paul Hiemstra
> Department of Physical Geography
> Faculty of Geosciences
> University of Utrecht
> Heidelberglaan 2
> P.O. Box 80.115
> 3508 TC Utrecht
> Phone:  +3130 274 3113 Mon-Tue
> Phone:  +3130 253 5773 Wed-Fri
> http://intamap.geo.uu.nl/~paul

Best regards                                       .~.
Jarle Bjørgeengen                                  /V\
Mob: +47 9155 7978                                // \\
http://www.uio.no/sok?person=jb                  /(   )\