[R] sciplot question

Jarle Bjørgeengen jarle at bjorgeengen.net
Mon May 25 09:05:35 CEST 2009

On May 24, 2009, at 4:42 , Frank E Harrell Jr wrote:

> Jarle Bjørgeengen wrote:

>>> Minor improvement: mean(x) + qt.fun(x)*c(-1,1) but in general
>>> confidence limits should be asymmetric (a la bootstrap).
>> Thanks,
>> if the date is normally distributed , symmetric confidence interval
>> should be ok , right ?
>
> Yes; I do see a normal distribution about once every 10 years.

Is it not true that the students-T (qt(... and so on) confidence
intervals is quite robust against non-normality too ?

A teacher told me that, the students-T symmetric confidence intervals
will give a adequate picture of the variability of the data in this
particular case.

Best rgds
Jarle Bjørgeengen