[R] postscript problems (landscape orientation)

David Scott d.scott at auckland.ac.nz
Fri May 22 01:02:28 CEST 2009

On Thu, 21 May 2009, Zeljko Vrba wrote:

> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 02:14:01PM +0200, Peter Dalgaard wrote:
>>
>> I think the trick is
>>
>> jade:~/> env | grep GS_
>> GS_OPTIONS=-dAutoRotatePages=/None
>>
> Thanks, I found that myself.  However, when using ps2pdf from Miktex 2.7, I
> get the following error:
>
> Unrecoverable error: typecheck in .putdeviceprops
>
> I will try to manually invoke gs or, eventually, just use Distiller.
>

>> which I still have on my work login. However, I almost never use PS
>> these days since it is easier just to create the plot files with the
>> pdf() device.
>>
> Ah, now I remember why I don't use pdflatex: when you re-create the document,
> the viewer gets _very_ confused, so I have to close and reopen the file and go
> to the page I was viewing.  When I recreate postscript and turn on "Watch file"
> in ghostview, I get automatic and quick previews of my work.

Well most people deal with that problem by not using Acrobat to read .pdf
files. On linux you can use evince or xpdf. On windows just use gsview32.
Those readers don't lock the .pdf.

I am with Peter and generally go straight to pdf these days. The only
reason for going through postscript is if you want to use psfrag.

David Scott

David Scott	Department of Statistics
 		The University of Auckland, PB 92019
 		Auckland 1142,    NEW ZEALAND
Phone: +64 9 923 5055, or +64 9 373 7599 ext 85055
Email:	d.scott at auckland.ac.nz,  Fax: +64 9 373 7018

Graduate Officer, Department of Statistics
Director of Consulting, Department of Statistics