[R] Barchart in lattice - wrong order of groups, data labels on top of each other, and a legend question

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan.sarkar at gmail.com
Thu May 21 22:49:05 CEST 2009

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 12:58 PM, Dimitri Liakhovitski <ld7631 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Deepayan, thank you very much for your response.
> I have a general question. And please remember - I am really just a
> beginner in R.
> Is it truly the case that in order to build quite a basic bar chart
> with value labels attached to it I have to be a true R graphics guru -
> because the only way to do achieve what I am trying to achive is to
> modify the underlying R function (panel.barchart)?
> Really?

That's one way to look at it. The other interpretation is that the
author(s) of the functions you tried to use do not consider what you
are doing "basic".

If you are interested in simpler alternatives, I would suggest something like

barchart(Group ~ Percentage | factor(a), test, origin = 0,
         panel = function(x, y, ...) {
             panel.grid(h = 0, v = -1)
             panel.barchart(x, y, ...)
             ltext(x, y, labels=round(x, 0),