[R] How to google for R stuff?

spencerg spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Wed May 20 16:52:41 CEST 2009

      There is also the relatively new "RSiteSearch" package.  It's
"RSiteSearch.function" searches only help pages of contributed packages
but returns the result in a data.frame (of class "RSiteSearch") sorted
to put the most interesting package first with help pages sorted within
packages.  If this package is installed, "system.file('doc',
'RSiteSearch.pdf', package='RSiteSearch')" will give you the location of
a 2-page description of the most important features of this package
including examples that work.  Since that document was written, we've
added "|" and "&" for combining the objects returned by different
searches and "packageSum2" to add information from installed packages
not available from "RSiteSearch" itself.

      For example, I'm giving an invited presentation on "Fitting
Nonlinear Differential Equations to Data in R" as part of a "Dynamics
Workshop" in Vancouver this June 4-6
(http://stat.sfu.ca/~dac5/workshop09/Welcome.html).  To prepare for
that, I first did the following:

de <- RSiteSearch.function("differential equation")
des <- RSiteSearch.function("differential equations")
# With "de" and "des", each finds things missed by the other.
de. <- de | des # combine into one
sumDE <- packageSum2(de.) # add details on installed packages.

      This helped me decide which packages I should look at first.

      Hope this helps.
      Spencer Graves