[R] Random effects aov

Christine Griffiths Christine.Griffiths at bristol.ac.uk
Wed May 20 15:41:08 CEST 2009

Dear All

I have a repeated measures design in which abundance was measured
repeatedly over 10 months in three treatments (Tortoise A; Tortoise B and
control) established in 6 blocks, i.e. crossed fixed effects. My original
design incorporated two tortoises per treatment, however as fieldwork goes
I ended up losing some animals. Rather than lose a couple of enclosures in
the analysis and have to do a lmer, I thought I could include tortoise
weight as an explanatory variable. For my treatments, tortoise weight in
the control always = 0, while in general Tortoise A is twice as large as
Tortoise B except when I lost animals. Is this the correct model?

aov(Tel.ab~Tort.W+Treatment*Month+Error(Month/Block))

Or should tortoise weight be nested in Treatment, i.e not included as a
fixed factor but including the fact that tortoises species may have an
effect? I am utterly confused now as to whether that should be the case as
to some extent Tort.W and Treatment are correlated.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Many thanks
Christine

Christine Griffiths