[R] error in importing text files

Eric McKibben EMcKibb at clemson.edu
Mon May 18 21:59:05 CEST 2009

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the reply.  My initial thought was just as you indicated, one of
the rows must be missing an element.  Interestingly, all of the rows in that
text file had 8 columns.  I went directly to the line in the text file
indicated in the error and there was nothing unusual about that line as far
as I could tell.

On a related note, is it possible to import one set of characters at a time
to create a series of vectors that I could then bind together into a data
frame?  For example, lets say I want the first 4 characters in a column that
contains the following data 20080204131646. Could I assign these characters
to a vector called year?  Could I then assign characters five and six to
another vector called day?  If so, how do I do this?

Thanks again,

Eric S McKibben
Industrial-Organizational Psychology Graduate Student
Clemson University
Clemson, SC