[R] bagged importance estimates in earth problem

Max Kuhn mxkuhn at gmail.com
Mon May 18 19:08:36 CEST 2009

Joe,

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Joseph Retzer <joe_retzer at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your response Gavin. I get the same error as I noted before when running the example from bagEarth.
>
> earth and caret are the most recent versions (on the MAC) available on CRAN binaries, 2.0-5 and 3.45 respectively.

That is probably your problem. caret is at 4.15 and earth is now at
2.3-2. caret 3.45 was released on 2008-10-17 and many changes have
been made to both packages since then.

> I see that the CRAN checks for caret lists an error status for version 4.15  r-release-macosx-ix86, which is probably why it is not available in binary form. I also suspect, but am not sure, that this is why varImp fails.

No, not at all true. I build it on OS X and R-Forge checks it every
night. Please don't extrapolate, especially if you haven't sent a
reproducible example.

Max