[R] Connection to Microsoft SQL Server

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Mon May 18 14:23:10 CEST 2009

Meenu Sahi wrote:
> Dear Users
> I am new to R. I'm trying to make a connection to Microsoft SQL Server via
> R.
> How can I find the correct syntax to make the connection? The Help pdf file
> has an example for mySql but there's isnt much on SQL Server.
> Please help.
> I am trying the following code
> library(RODBC)
> con<-odbcConnect(dbname,hostname)
> How do I specify the driver,userid,password etc?

Well, you specify the DSN and other details in your Windows settings
(somewhere within the control panel) - given your OS is Windows?
If you make a call to connect to that DSN, you will be asked for
username and password given you haven't specified it with the DSN in
your Windows settings.

Uwe Ligges